How to Make a Delta 8 THC Tincture
A common question we see is how to make a Delta 8 THC tincture. We offer a premade Delta 8 THC tincture with a custom blend of cannabinoids and terpenes that we’ve worked hard developing for maximum efficiency, but this is going to be what we see as best for the average person. There may be a carrier oil, terpene, blend of terpenes, or flavoring that you prefer or respond better to.
And while making a tincture may seem like a daunting task shrouded in mystery, it’s not! It’s extremely simple and we’ll get you up and going in no time with an easy to make oil-soluble tincture.
Making a Delta 8 THC Tincture
There are two kinds of tinctures, one being water-soluble and the other being oil soluble. Oil-soluble tinctures are by far the easiest tinctures to make, and it will also be the cheapest and easiest way to get accurate dosing, so that’s the one we’ll cover here
An oil-soluble Delta 8 THC tinctures will also operate more similarly to a Delta 8 THC edible, meaning most of the oil is going to be absorbed through the GI tract results versus the mucous membranes under your tongue. This results in higher levels of the Delta 8 THC metabolite 11-hydroxy-delta 8-tetrahydrocannabinol, a longer time to feel effects (usually 1-4 hours), and a longer duration of effects (as long as 12 hours or more).
However, there are ways to increase the absorption of Delta 8 THC in the mucous membranes. Pairing Delta 8 THC with a small, simple structured carrier oil like MCT oil is thought to increase absorption rates as well as pairing it with small amounts of compounds like terpenes and/or food-grade ethanol. Note that the more Delta 8 THC that is absorbed through the mucous membranes the quicker you will feel effects, but the shorter the duration of those effects will be.
When choosing a carrier oil, you can use any food-grade carrier oil you wish, as well as any terpenes. As a note, “carrier oil” is simply an oil used to thin out the Delta 8 THC distillate to help it become more easily used and more easily digested.
In order to keep your product fresher, longer, you can also add a small amount of vitamin E to the mix. It’s a great food-safe antioxidant, an essential vitamin, and natural! Just don’t vape your mixture if you add vitamin E, as studies suggest it may cause lung damage. Also do not vape if you add ethanol or flavor oils.
- 3Chi Delta 8 THC syringe
- Carrier oil (MCT oil, olive oil, vegetable oil, hemp seed oil, etc)
- Hot plate, beaker, stir bar/stirring tool OR stove and sauce pan filled with water
- Tincture/dropper bottle, preferably with a graduate dropper to ensure more accurate dosing
- Vitamin E (optional, but recommended as it will extend the shelf life and potency of your oil)
- Other cannabinoids – for example a CBD distillate, etc (optional)
- Terpenes (optional – max 2% which includes flavor oils if any)
- Flavor Oil (optional – max 2% which includes terpenes if any)
- Food Grade Ethanol (optional – up to 20%)
How to Make an Oil Soluble Delta 8 THC Tincture
- Warm your 3Chi Delta 8 THC distillate syringe in a hot water bath or with a hair dryer as instructed on the back of the card insert
- Once loose, empty the desired amount of Delta 8 THC distillate into a beaker, if using a hot plate, or directly into the dropper jar if using the stove
- Measure about 1 oz of your carrier oil on the scale and add to the beaker if heating on a hot plate or directly into your bottle if using the stove. If you plan on using ethanol, subtract the amount of ethanol you’ll be using from the carrier oil weight.
- If adding Vitamin E, add .5% by weight.
- If adding other cannabinoid extracts, add desired amount.
- If using a hot plate, heat the oils at 90-100°C until melted, and stir until completely mixed. Once mixed remove immediately from heat. Do not keep mixture on heat for more than is absolutely necessary to prevent degradation of cannabinoids.
- If using the stove top to heat your oil, add water to a sauce pan and bring to a light boil or just below. Hold your tincture bottle in the water and gently stir the water with your bottle until interior contents are melted. Do not sit your bottle in the pan. Remove from heat and immediately shake or swirl rapidly with cap on to thoroughly mix contents.
- Add terpenes and or flavor oil to mixture and stir. Recommended to keep terpenes and flavor oils under 2% by weight. You may find under 0.25% to be best as high amounts of terpenes and/or flavor oil can give the sensation of chemical burns.
- If adding ethanol you would add it here and mix until the solution is uniform. You can theoretically use any amount of ethanol but 1-20% ethanol is standard, although most do not use any ethanol at all (we don’t either).
- You’re all done! Enjoy!
To extend the shelf life of your tincture store in the refrigerator and don’t touch the dropper to your mouth or tongue when using, as that transfers bacteria to your dropper and ultimately into your solution.